Ricoh to exhibit its lithium-ion secondary cells manufacturing technology using inkjet technology at Int’l Rechargeable Battery Expo
Proposal for mass production manufacturing process
TOKYO, February 24, 2021 – Ricoh Company, Ltd. will exhibit its inkjet printing technology for manufacturing lithium-ion secondary cells at BATTERY JAPAN 2021, 12th International Rechargeable Battery Expo, to be held from March 3 to 5, 2021.
Ricoh applied its inkjet technology to lithium-ion secondary cells’ production, enabling them to come in an almost limitless number of shapes and sizes. A digital inkjet system prints cell material only onto the area required. This allows secondary cells to be produced for many different applications in any shape or size and, at the same time, minimizes any wastage.
The components of electrodes (anodes and cathodes) and separators for lithium-ion secondary cells are incorporated into printable inks. Digital inkjet technology is then used to print them in layers allowing secondary cells to be produced to the desired shape.
So far, Ricoh’s R&D Department has been working on initial materials prototypes and printing equipment for secondary cells. Currently, it is developing a prototype inkjet printing system that can be applied for mass production processes. Ricoh is planning to supply sample materials and conduct prototyping with customers starting in summer 2021. Taking the opportunity of this technical exhibition, Ricoh will be proposing the system to potential lithium-ion battery manufacturing industry customers.
Ricoh aims to realize the technology to print materials for all-solid-state batteries in the future.
Details of the exhibit
- Inkjet printing system (image)
- Ceramic layer printing technology on battery electrodes
- Separator printing technology on battery electrodes
Outline of the exhibition
BATTERY JAPAN 2021—12th International Rechargeable Battery Expo*
- Organizer: Reed Exhibitions Japan Ltd.
- Dates: March 3 (Wed.) - 5 (Fri.), 2021 10:00 - 18:00 (17:00 on Friday)
- Place: Tokyo Big Sight (South Exhibition Hall) and online**
* The show will be held in accordance with the guidelines of the government, municipalities, and the exhibition industry association. As a result, the number of staff members in Ricoh’s booth will be limited and may not provide sufficient support in some cases. Thank you for your understanding.
** If you wish to attend the online exhibition, pre-register on the International Rechargeable Battery Expo website is required. https://www.batteryjapan.jp/en-gb.html
Keep up to date
Ricoh joins inaugural Climate Leaders Asia-Pacific 2022 list
Yoshinori Yamashita interviewed in The Japan Times, discussing Ricoh's sustainability commitment and activities
Ricoh to strengthen support for drug discovery services using mRNA
Ricoh positioned in the 2022 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Outsourced Digital Workplace Services Worldwide